Thursday 13 December 2012

Peak District - Kinder Scout - Ringing Roger & Hope Cross

I'm having a great run at the moment it seems when it comes to walking weather, I had checked the advanced forecast and selected Thursday the 13th of December to have a wander this week. When the day finally arrived I still hadn't chosen where I was going to walk, I quickly checked my Dark Peak Combi Map on ShareYourAdventure.com and had a look what gaps need filling in. I decided to go for a walk I have done before but I haven't tracked it while Social Hiking. I got all my cold weather gear ready, set up my map on ShareYourAdventure.com, loaded the car, made coffee and off I went.

[caption id="attachment_2126" align="alignnone" width="600"]A frosty start in Edale A frosty start in Edale[/caption]

When I arrived in Edale I was met by a beautiful winter scene, hoar frost, valley fog, and the sun piercing through the clouds into the valley. I managed to grab a parking space next to the school, put my boots on and then went over to the Old Nag's Head to film a snippet of video for a short film I had planned to make during my walk today.



I had been planning on making this short movie for some time, one of those projects that I dream up in my head while at work and then take a while to get around to actually doing. sadly, allot of my projects are still on the "to do" list but this one has made it through to completion :-)



The views were stunning down in to the Vale of Edale as I climbed up towards Ringing Roger. The cloud was slowly dispersing and the sun was peeping out from behind Mam Tor to fill the valley with light.

[caption id="attachment_2125" align="alignnone" width="600"]Vale of Edale Vale of Edale[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2127" align="alignnone" width="600"]Kinder Scout - Grindsbrook Kinder Scout - Grindsbrook[/caption]



[caption id="attachment_2130" align="alignnone" width="600"]Moors for the Future - Workers Tools Moors for the Future - Workers Tools[/caption]

I spotted a couple of guys who were working on the footpath on behalf of Moors For The Future. They have been doing some great conservation work over the last few years, not only have they been building or repairing paths, they have been planting various things to help keep the moors in good condition. You can really see how the vegetation they have planted is taking hold and protecting the bare peat.

[caption id="attachment_2129" align="alignnone" width="600"]Ringing Roger on Kinder Scout Ringing Roger on Kinder Scout[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2128" align="alignnone" width="600"]Moors for the Future - Bags of Rocks Moors for the Future - Bags of Rocks[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2121" align="alignnone" width="600"]Moors for the Future path work on Kinder Scout Moors for the Future path work on Kinder Scout[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2122" align="alignnone" width="600"]Ringing Roger on Kinder Scout Ringing Roger on Kinder Scout[/caption]

The final part of the video was filmed up on Ringing Roger itself, I had envisaged myself looking out over a valley at the crescendo of the movie and this was a great spot to choose. The views from Ringing Roger are stunning as you look down to Edale and up Grindsbrook. The cloud was lingering at around 600 metres today so I had to go for a slightly higher shooting angle. The video itself was only really ever supposed to be a bit of fun, i'm hoping that a few more serious walking route videos will follow soon.

[caption id="attachment_2123" align="alignnone" width="600"]Kinder Scout Upper Tor Kinder Scout Upper Tor[/caption]



These 2 Bambuser Videos were being broadcast live while I was stood up there on Ringing Roger. The first one ends abruptly as I received a phone call, the second one ends after 9 minutes as my phone decided to switch off :-).



[caption id="attachment_2124" align="alignnone" width="600"]Win Hill and Lose Hill valley fog Win Hill and Lose Hill valley fog[/caption]



As I walked across towards Crookstone Knoll I witnessed a fantastic sight when looking down towards Hope Valley. The fog was rolling up the valley, it looked stunning as it was framed by Win Hill and Lose Hill. I recorded the AudioBoo above while I was stood there totally amazed :-)

[caption id="attachment_2120" align="alignnone" width="600"]Looking down Jaggers Clough Looking down Jaggers Clough[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2117" align="alignnone" width="600"]Crookstone Moor Crookstone Moor[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2118" align="alignnone" width="600"]Crookstone Moor - PeakRoutes Logo Sign Crookstone Moor - PeakRoutes Logo Sign[/caption]

I always like visiting Crookstone Moor, The sign post there has got to be one of my favourites now. I have kind of adopted it as the logo for PeakRoutes which means I look at it allot now days, Its always nice to physically go back there and see it in person.

[caption id="attachment_2116" align="alignnone" width="600"]Roman Road to Hope Cross Roman Road to Hope Cross[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2115" align="alignnone" width="600"]Great Ridge looking from Bridleway near Hope Cross Great Ridge looking from Bridleway near Hope Cross[/caption]

I'm not sure which farm owns the land up here but they really do not want you to stray off the path. They have done everything than can to keep you "Off My Land" here. The Bridleway down to Edale and the Old Roman Road down to Hope is rather hemmed in.

[caption id="attachment_2119" align="alignnone" width="600"]Looking up Jaggers Clough Looking up Jaggers Clough[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2112" align="alignnone" width="600"]Jaggers Clough River Crossing Jaggers Clough River Crossing[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2113" align="alignnone" width="600"]Jaggers Clough Bridleway Jaggers Clough Bridleway [/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2110" align="alignnone" width="600"]Win Hill and the Vale of Edale Win Hill and the Vale of Edale[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_2114" align="alignnone" width="600"]Lose Hill looking frosty Lose Hill looking frosty[/caption]

By this part of my walk the skies were totally clear and the sun was streaming down in to the valley, Lose Hill looked impressive with its icy northern flanks and I even snapped one of the many trains running through the valley.

[caption id="attachment_2111" align="alignnone" width="600"]Bridleway from Hope Cross to Edale Bridleway from Hope Cross to Edale[/caption]

It had been a great walk again today, infact every walk in the Peak District is great regardless of the weather. I would go out if it was chucking it down, I need to get my walking fix or all is not well with the world :-)

[caption id="attachment_2132" align="alignnone" width="600"]Grindslow Knoll & Grindsbrook from Edale Grindslow Knoll & Grindsbrook from Edale[/caption]

I finished off the day by going for a pint of 1577 at the Old Nag's Head. It was lovely and warm in there which felt very welcoming after being out in the sub zero temperatures all day. I got chatting with the lady behind the bar about history and she very kindly fetched a book for me to read. It was her copy of the History of Edale and it had a great wealth of information to soak in about the area. I have added it to my list of reading material to locate in the library the next time I go.


[caption id="attachment_2131" align="alignnone" width="600"]Edale - Old Nag's Head Edale - Old Nag's Head[/caption]

I headed back to the car after I had finished reading and drinking. I scraped the ice from the windows and then begun to drive home. I spotted a chap who was trying to thumb a lift at the entrance to the main car park in the village. I thought.. what the heck, i'll give him a lift. I've never picked up a hitchhiker before and he turned out to be a thoroughly nice chap. He was a fell runner who had been out on Kinder researching routes for an upcoming fell race in January. I gave him a lift to Hathersage and we chatted about running, the Peak, the Lakes, Scotland and Snowdonia.



I'm hoping to be out again towards the end of next week, I shall bring you another bucket load of images, video and audio for you to sample. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to read, watch, listen or just look :-)

12 comments: